Candidates can become a Certified Travel Training Instructor (ctti) by completing the following steps:
- Completing a series of foundation and elective courses
- Preparing a professional portfolio (if requesting to use work experience as a substitute for a course)
- Completing the required 60 credits within 2 years for initial certification
- Successful completion of travel training practicum
- Passing an online test to verify knowledge in travel training
Steps to Certification
All of the following steps should be completed within two years of registration. Step 1 courses must be taken through ESPA Consulting. Step 2 and Step 3 courses may be taken through ESPAC or other organizations.
Step 1—Complete Foundation Courses (42 total hours):
- Introduction to Travel Training Workshop (18 credit hours)
- If you are a professional in the field of travel training, transportation, human services, education, or a related area, you may be able to substitute your work experience for the Introduction to Travel Training Workshop. See minimum requirements.
- Elements of a Travel Training Program (12 credit hours) (Information on this course coming soon!)
- Community Connections & Your Role as a Travel Trainer (12 credit hours) (Information on this course coming soon!)
Note: All of the above courses are now available online! See the course schedule to register.
Step 2—Complete Courses on Required Topics (9 total hours):
- Street Crossing
- Data collection
Note: ESPA Consulting offers webinars (2 for each required topic) that will satisfy this requirement. See the course schedule to register.
Step 3—Complete Elective Courses(9 total hours):
Electives must pertain to travel training and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act and transportation
All foundation courses will be offered through ESPAC. For courses on required topics and electives, individuals and organizations may submit webinars and workshops for credit consideration. CUTR will review all submissions and designate the number of credit hours for which a course is eligible. Find out how to submit organization & event experience for credits.
Note: ESPA Consulting offers an Advanced Travel Training Strategies online course that satisfies this requirement. See the course schedule to register.
Step 4—Certification Test
Part 1: One-to-one on the Street Travel Instruction Practicum
Part 2: Online test to Verify Travel Training Knowledge
Total hours for certification: 60 hours plus practicum hours